Sunday, November 14, 2010

"Anagram Haiku"

The Rodger Mack Exhibiton Space is a space that has attracted my attention for some period of time. Located in the lobby of the Schaffer Art Building on the Syracuse University campus, the exhibition space (or more appropriately, wall) is clearly dominated by the large vinyl text that provides its label. As an often text-based artist, I felt it was my duty to use the label as a starting point for an art work.


After gaining permission to present work on the wall, I had letters laser-cut from MDF to match the existing label. I then, on a weekly basis for a period of five weeks, rearranged the 58 letters into different anagram haiku poems. Each poem used all 58 of the available characters and followed the established 5-7-5 syllable format of the haiku (the ampersand was counted or ignored as a syllable, depending on the situation). And like most haiku, these poems were appropriately obscure and meditative...


No comments:

Post a Comment